Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toff Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I've heard this term a good bit lately, referring to Etonians primarily, but also to any of the so-called privileged class. Would you Brits be so kind as to provide us on the other side of the pond with a history lesson regarding its origins?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Etymology online and a couple of online dictionaries suggest
quote:
lower-class British slang for "stylish dresser, member of the smart set," 1851, probably an alteration of tuft, formerly an Oxford Univ. term for a nobleman or gentleman-commoner (1755), in ref. to the gold ornamental tassel worn on the caps of undergraduates at Oxford and Cambridge whose fathers were peers with votes in the House of Lords.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perh. a vulgar perversion of TUFT, as formerly applied to a nobleman or gentleman-commoner at Oxford.
The OED is has a similar etymology, though the "perh." (perhaps?) is interesting. I have always wondered how accurate etymology.com is.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I have always wondered how accurate etymology.com is.

Only as accurate as the dictionary they lift their etymology from.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, sometimes I have found exact quotes from the online OED, without cites of course.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
Words like toff will be very useful for about five of the next six years at least, given the state of the UK political scene.

Was toffee-nosed derived from toff then? They mean essentially the same thing.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Wiktionary says that it is probably from toff.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post