Check your neck Login/Join

posted
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=check+your+neck

Can you remember ever having heard this expr before Jeff Foxworthy

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
No.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Nope. Never heard of it before. It appears to be only used in the US.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Not a US term either. Per research, comedian Jeff Foxworthy uses the phrase. ("You know you're a redneck if ..."). And you'll find it in sites about thyroid problems.

The phrase gets only 18,500 ghits, over 95% in one of those two contexts. If you seach for "check your neck" -foxworthy -thyroid you're down to 776 ghits. And these are things like "check your neck to feel if it is tight or sore"; on a quick scan of them I don't see a single one using the phrase as a term in context.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Nope

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
shu: By coincidence I also did minus Foxworthy and thyroid, and without performing a tedious search I agree it looks like the expr hasn't caught on yet

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I've heard "Check your six" from ex-fighter pilots in reference to an enemy attacking from the six o-clock position (to the rear).

By the way, I did just check my neck, and it was not red - it was dirty. I washed it. I hope you're all pleased to know that.

Asa the only partly dirty old man

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
shu: I agree it looks like the expr hasn't caught on yet.
Which tells you something about the reliability of Urban Dictionary, which included it.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
shu: Yes, but sometimes UD is a good source. Oftentimes they're first to pick up on a neologism for a quick check. Furthermore, several entries with a similar def, esp if they have a predominance of thumbs up, is a pretty reliable indicator