Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interglossa Login/Join

posted
Any comments on this? I had not heard of it until looking up Lancelot Hogben, editor of a book I have. http://www.rickharrison.com/language/interglossa.html

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Any comments on this?

I'd heard of it before, but then I own and have read a few books on artificial languages (aka conlangs). My faves are still Volapük and tlhIngan Hol.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It sounded like a medical term to me, so I looked it up on Google, linked with medicine. Interestingly, I found this 456 page book on "Recommendations and Guidelines for Perinatal Medicine." On page two, at the bottom, it says, "Linguistic revision:
Interglossa, J. M. Dachs and X. Carbonell"

If it's about artificial languages, how is it used there?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It sounded like a medical term to me, so I looked it up on Google, linked with medicine.

Well, here's my Google results (link). The first page of ghits refers only to the auxiliary artificial language. I looked it up on Wikipedia, and this is what I got (link). Could you provide a link to your Google results?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
Based on the words shown in the first link it looks as if he'd just simplified Latin, not English.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here's my link, z: Link As you can see in that link, I had put the terms interglossa/medicine into Google.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Based on the words shown in the first link it looks as if he'd just simplified Latin, not English.

Not all artificial languages are based on English. Interglossa was one of many based on Latin without all the endings: kind of a new Romance language.

As you can see in that link, I had put the terms interglossa/medicine into Google.

Now I see , you googled specifically on both the terms. I thought you'd just googled Interglossa. Looking at some of the resulting pages, I see that the inventor of the auxiliary Interglossa, Lancelot Hogben who was a professor of zoology, wrote a book, Genetic Principles in Medicine. That's why you're getting a bunch of these hits. As far as I can tell, Interglossa refers to the language and is not a medical term in any of these results.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I saw that too. The reason it sounded medical to me was because of the "Glossa" part. "Glossa" in medicine would pertain to the tongue, with such words as "glossitis" or "glossopharyneal nerve," which is the ninth cranial nerve.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The Greek word glossa (I can't do Greek characters on this machine) means "tongue", in both the senses used today: as the floppy thing in our mouths, and a synonym for "language".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you consulted any native speakers? Big Grin

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
and it seems to me that no one can speak Klingon properly

The hazards of not using native speakers, but yes, unlike the movies, Marc Okrand did not usually coach the actors in their Klingon dialog.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.