Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do I call this? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In the last 2 days I have had a committee in to discuss some work we are doing to develop quality indicators of nursing education programs. We have worked on this for at least 2 years now, including conducting a large study and doing a systematic review of the research in nursing education. Before we write our final report on this large project, we'd like to invite some stakeholders to a meeting to respond to our research and recommendations, make their own recommendations, and generally to bring them on board with us. What do we call this gathering?

The chair of my committee wants to call it a summit. To me a summit is a gathering where there are presentations, much like conferences or conventions. Yet I don't see it being called a think tank because I'd see think tanks at the beginning of or during this project, but not at the end. Is it a round table? I have always been confused about what these are...I always envision a big round table, though! Any other ideas?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I would call it a focus group.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
What outcome are you expecting from this gathering?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about calling it a conference or, better yet, a seminar?

You will be making a presentation of your ideas and, presumably, the stakeholders will respond with questions and suggestions which will generate a discussion. Or is this simply an informational meeting, more or less a formality to satisfy "public input" requirements?

I know I sound cynical, but I've been to too many "open houses" and "seminars" and "public meetings," etc. conducted by various political entities under the guise of "collecting public input," when they really have already made up their minds about what they are going to do. I was invited to and attended one "public meeting" put on by a developer who wanted to build an assisted-living facility in a wetland. Then later he threatened to sue everyone who attended and opposed him for "conspiracy!"

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
I vote for symposium which is the ancient Greek for cocktail party.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I always think of a focus group as a sampling of people, and for this we'd like as many stakeholders as possible to attend. Yet, I may be wrong.

Richard, we are hoping to develop some evidence-based quality indicators of nursing education programs, based on our research. Yet, we'd like some of the other nursing organizations to assist us with analysis of our studies and with developing the evidence-based indicators. I'd really like to bring the nursing organizations together on this important project. Whether or not it will happen, I don't know.
quote:
Or is this simply an informational meeting, more or less a formality to satisfy "public input" requirements?

Truly, we want input from the nursing organizations. This isn't a formality. We are a private organization and have no requirements to fulfill "public input."

posted Hide Post
How about a congress, convention, seminar, colloquium, forum, convocation, discussion group or consultation summit.

My favourite I think is colloquium.

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
So, Kalleh - what did you end up calling it?

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I am still trying to talk my boss into letting me hold it. I think my poor boss thinks that someday I will drive the place to the poorhouse! Big Grin

However, if it's a go, I am thinking of "symposium," though I am liking "focus group" more and more. Then of course I have always liked "round table," though it depends on how many people are invited.

As you can see...I am still undecided! Wink

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Sigh. I hate waiting.

~Dalai Lama