Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rhymezone peculiartity Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
As rhymezone is an American site I'll throw this one open to the floor.

I wanted rhymes for "dirty" and was intrigued to notice that "thirty" wasn't among them. So I looked for rhymes for "thirty".

According to rhymezone none of "dirty", "shirty" or "flirty" rhyme with "thirty" but, baffling to me, all of the following selection do...

knee, quay, sprit, beastly, crappy, ducky, iced tea, lucre, Sunday, absentee, mycenae, nobody, whiffletree, gymnospermae and crossopterygii

among many many others NONE OF WHICH rhyme with thirty in any accent that I have ever heard.

Comments?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
IMHO, rhymezone is pure junk.

I’d like to give you a copy of Whitfield”s rhyming dictionary. Can Amazon deliver in China?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
IMHO, rhymezone is pure junk.

I’d like to give you a copy of Whitfield”s rhyming dictionary. Can Amazon deliver in China?

It's certainly not great but it does occasionally remind me of rhymes I hadn't thought of. This was a particularly weird example though. At the moment I can't send or receive post as it's been stopped locally because of Covid. Not sure about Amazon but thank you for the thought.

posted Hide Post
No wonder my limericks are so bad; I've been using rizome!

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
No wonder my limericks are so bad; I've been using rizome!

Probably no worse than rhymezone.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I use Rhymezone, too, though I know Shu does not. I have not found it as bad as Shu has, but I wonder if it has changed. I just searched for "thirty" and you are right. So strange. Many of those rhymes aren't even close. Yet, when I searched for "shirty" or "dirty" it was fine. Not sure what to think.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It's pretty much useless for non-Americans, especially if the vowel is "o" or "ou", as about fifty percent of the listed rhymes don't rhyme in any other variety of English. For example there are 41 main (i.e. bolded on screen) single syllable rhymes listed for "cot" of which only 23 actually rhyme to someone speaking British English.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Yet, when I searched for "shirty" or "dirty" it was fine. Not sure what to think.

Well, fine-ish. Neither shirty nor dirty lists thirty as a rhyme. How precisely, I wonder, do they think "thirty" should be pronounced?

posted Hide Post
There's a "contact us" spot on Data Muse, which owns Rhyme Zone that you might be able to contact. Perhaps you can get them to correct the oversight?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Rhizome has been hacked!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bethree, do you know that for sure? That makes total sense. British or not, the rhymes for "thirty" make no sense at all.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post