Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Andragogy Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I found the word "andragogy" in this sentence, and I hadn't heard it: "Andragogy is the foundational theory of adult learning and was first described by Malcolm Knowles." They define it as "an integration of adult-learning principles from a wide variety of social sciences, including clinical psychology, developmental psychology, sociology, and philosophy," though the online dictionaries (only in 3 in Onelook and none in Dictionary.com) merely say it is "the methods used to teach adults."

I use pedagogy all the time, but not andragogy. I found the word in the nursing literature, and there was a quote using the word in the word a day archives.... again from a nursing source.

Have you heard of it or used it? I think it is interesting that its etymology is from "andra," though it is about adult learning!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I suspect this word has been coined in imitation of pedagogy. That word come from the Greek paido-, boy + agogos, leader; so it means a teacher of boys. The derivation of andragogy is from the Greek andro-, meaning man (as opposed to a boy).

Whilst it might appear sexist to refer to a 'teacher of men' I believe that andro- can have a similar meaning to 'mankind', meaning the human race in general, in the same way as 'man' did until comparatively recently. I stand to be corrected on this by those who actually know some Greek, though!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
This has a familiar ring ...
quote:

an integration of adult-learning principles from a wide variety of social sciences, including clinical psychology, developmental psychology, sociology, and philosophy

... was it written by the author of the Mission Statement about total understanding of all aspects of humanity ???

Thought so.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
There's a substantial body of liteature about this.

I know. It's the kind of stuff I have to read.

Try here, here, hereor any of the other gazillion web sites you get if you search for andragogy or Malcolm Knowles.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
No, anêr, andr- is specifically male men, and is always used in contrast with gynê, gynaik- 'woman'. Corresponds to Latin vir, not homo. The general Greek for 'person' is anthrôp-; and I can't recall ever seeing something in technical terms corresponding to 'adult'... let's see what the dictionary says... No specific word: teleios is used, meaning 'complete, entire'.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
... was it written by the author of the Mission Statement about total understanding of all aspects of humanity ???

Nope, Jerry. It was in an article that was written in England.

I have been excrutiatingly busy (I am sure that's the wrong use of the adverb, but I love using it that way!) in writing a systematic review of teaching methodologies in nursing. It was while reading that literature that I found the word "andragogy." In continuing my reading, I found it in 3 more education studies...interestingly, all 4 citations of the word "andragogy" were from British studies. And now Bob says that he is quite familiar with the word. I wonder if it is more a British term than a U.S. term. Others in the U.S., including Shu (the smartest person I know!), hadn't heard of the word.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
And now Bob says that he is quite familiar with the word.

I wasn't familiar with it before I started my Cert.Ed. course though. It more an educationalists word than a British one, I think.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTEI have been excrutiatingly busy[/QUOTE]

It's "excruCiatingly". Derived from "cruce" - cross. Its literal meaning refers to the pain of crucifixion.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, thanks so much, Di, for correcting me on that. I won't go up and change it now or no one will understand your post. However, in the future, I will spell it: excruciatingly!

I did look it up after Di's post, and it does appear to be used correctly, at least! Here is what AHD had to say, "Intensely painful; agonizing. Very intense or extreme: wrote with excruciating precision."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Oh, thanks so much, Di, for correcting me on that. I won't go up and change it now or no one will understand your post. However, in the future, I will spell it: excruciatingly!

I did look it up after Di's post, and it does appear to be used correctly, at least! Here is what AHD had to say, "Intensely painful; agonizing. Very intense or extreme: wrote with excruciating precision."

I hope I didn't come across as too abrupt in that post. I was in a bit of a hurry when I posted it and I didn't have time to do more than give just the bare essentials.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
For the record, I would much rather be corrected here, than to have someone think, "She's wrong, but I don't want to hurt her feelings."

So...thanks again!