Find
Notify
Tools

ONLIEST Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
Some of the folks in this neighborhood tend to use the word onliest, as in:
"That is about the onliest way it's ever gonna happen."

Is this a local thing? Is it a Southern thing? Anyone else ever hear this?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I first heard the word "onliest" used by my brother-in-law in the '70s. Since he's from North Carolina, I figured it was a regionalism or dialect or whatever you want to call it. This site says it is an example of "Appalachian Speechways."

I also remember him using the phrase "right smart," sometimes pronounced "raht smart." My ex-wife (also from North Carolina) used to say things like, "I've got to unthaw some meat for dinner" and "Turn off the cold heat!" That last phrase was said when the heater blower was on before the engine warmed up.

Come to think of it, I have heard "onliest" used on old shows, such as "Dukes of Hazzard" and "Gunsmoke."

Tinman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Is it a Southern thing?

CW, I've heard it, but I had always thought it a southernism.

My ex-wife (also from North Carolina) used to say things like, "I've got to unthaw some meat for dinner" and "Turn off the cold heat!" That last phrase was said when the heater blower was on before the engine warmed up.

Hmmm, with, you, Tinman, being such a great linguist, it must have been hard with your "ex!"

I don't get "unthaw," but you know the literalist in me...I can completely understand 'turn off the cold heat.' I don't call it that, but maybe I will in the future. Wink Shu and I always have this ongoing dispute about the car heater. As soon as the car is turned on, he wants to turn on the heat and blare the fan. I, like Tinman's ex, want him to turn off the cold heat!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been in the South all my life... much to many people's chagrin.. but I have never uttered the word "onliest"... nor have any of my family members... shudder...

On the other hand, I have said, "Mash that elevator button!" which my Wyoming uncle (by marriage) thinks is the funniest thing in the world. He only mashes potatoes.

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
The "onliest", like the "very unique", does not and cannot exist as a sensible descriptor.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I suppose it all depends on whether or not you enjoy dialects and regional slang. I kind of like it when I hear it used by some folks, even though it always catches my attention, because it's part of their dialect. Now, if I was counseling someone (like a staff person) about how to prepare for an interview, I would definitely talk to them about such colloquialisms. When it is part of a person's familial linguistic history, it's kinda cool. Of course, you'll all take this with a grain of salt since it's coming from someone who actually says "kinda cool." Big Grin

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
"Mash that elevator button!"

Can't say that I've heard that one, KHC! I, too, "mash" potatoes, though I have heard that the old "monster mash" dance is rather fun! Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
CW's use appears in Dictionary.com
quote:
Chiefly Southern & South Midland U.S. To apply pressure to; press.

It also mentions another slang use which was current around the start of the 20th century: "To flirt with or make sexual advances to." Hence the word "masher", meaning a rake (not the garden variety)!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post