Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pathogen Login/Join

posted
I herd on the radio about bad germs and good germs but cant find any where that tell's what the oppasite of a bad germ pathogen is like nobody ever named a good germ.

Hal

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Apparently pathogen doesn't mean a "bad" germ, just a germ. According to Wikipedia
quote:
Not all pathogens are necessarily undesirable to humans.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
A pathogen (Greek: πάθος pathos “suffering, passion” and γενής genēs “producer of”) or infectious agent (colloquially known as a germ) is a microorganism—in the widest sense, such as a virus, bacterium, prion, or fungus—that causes disease in its host.
arnie, this is from your Wikipedia site. Doesn't that infer a "bad" germ to you - since it causes a disease in the host? Many microorganisms are natural (causing no disease), but I've always thought of a pathogen as a "bad" germ, so to speak.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
This is your area, Kalleh. I suggest you take up the apparent contradiction on the Wikipedia discuss page if it worries you.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It doesn't worry me, arnie. To me, the Wikipedia page is in total agreement with my views. It essentially says what I said, and that is, pathogens are "bad" germs.

posted Hide Post
OK so is there a word for a good germ? I know their are good germs in your gut so what do you call them?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Good question! Microorganism is the general word that includes both pathogens and those non-infectious sorts of "germs." But right off the top of my head, I can't come up with a name for a non-infectious microorganism.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Zymogene is defined as
quote:
One of a physiological group of globular bacteria which produces fermentations of diverse nature; --distinguished from pathogene.

I don't know if that means it's a "good germ" but that's all I can find.

posted Hide Post
That sound's like what wine makeing is called.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am not a pathologist - or even close - but I am thinking no, arnie. Here is an article , for example, about Streptococcus faecalis var. zymogenes, which of course is a pathogen. Interestingly, I found lots of articles on Google Scholar about this variety of Streptococcus until about 2000, but not much since. Then there are articles about zymogen, which is an enzyme precursor.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Gee I would have thought promoting fermentation a good thing Wink

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
Apparently pathogen doesn't mean a "bad" germ, just a germ. According to Wikipedia
quote:
Not all pathogens are necessarily undesirable to humans.

The following sentence explains what is meant: "In entomology, pathogens are one of the "Three P's" (predators, pathogens and parasitoids) that serve as natural or introduced biological controls to suppress arthropod pest populations."

A pathogen that causes an infectious disease in an insect pest is a "good" germ, as far as I'm concerned. One that causes a disease in me is a "bad" germ.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Good question! Microorganism is the general word that includes both pathogens and those non-infectious sorts of "germs." But right off the top of my head, I can't come up with a name for a non-infectious microorganism.

A non-infectious microorganism would be a harmless or beneficial microorganism.

Some plants, fungi, and animals are also microorganisms.

Micro-animal
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
quote:
Micro-animals are animals that are microscopic and thus cannot be seen with the naked eye. Mostly these microorganisms are multicellular but none are vertebrates. Microscopic arthropods include dust mites, spider mites, and some crustaceans such as copepods and the cladocera. Another common group of microscopic animals are the rotifers, which are filter feeders that are usually found in fresh water. Some nematode species are microscopic,[1] as well as many loricifera, including the recently discovered anaerobic species, which spend their entire lives in an anoxic environment.[2][3]

Although most microscopic animals are multicellular, myxozoa, jelly fish relatives from the phylum Cnidaria, are unicellular.[4]

This site, which classifies microorganisms as "harmless, beneficial or pathogenic, which means harmful," talks about "beneficial microorganisms."

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank's Tinman. So microflora is the word I've been looking for?

BTW Kalleh you were right. I right clicked on Ive and it said I've. But it says microflora is wrong. Why?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
A pathogen that causes an infectious disease in an insect pest is a "good" germ, as far as I'm concerned. One that causes a disease in me is a "bad" germ.
That is a good point, Tinman. Perhaps "bad" germ is a matter of perspective.

Halal, I am not sure why it underlines "microflora". Perhaps it's not in the Microsoft dictionary. I bet it's in Apple's. Wink