Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Themself? Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
The use of the singular they is quite common nowadays, although I understand it's more common on this side of the pond. I'm all for it, as it seems the most sensible solution to the he/she/it problem.

I noticed an interesting side effect in my paper the other day. In an article about a footballer who has gone into rehab (for the umpteenth time) the author opined rather sententiously that "an alcoholic knows that the only person who can help them is themselves" (my emphasis). I don't know if the reflexive themselves was made plural by the author or an editor so that it seemed to agree with the word them, but it looked weird to me.

There does exist an alternative, themself, although I'm sure plenty of peevers would throw a fit at its use. Oxford Dictionaries defines it thus:

"used instead of ‘himself’ or ‘herself’ to refer to a person of unspecified sex:

the casual observer might easily think themself back in 1945"

It goes on with a usage note:
quote:
The standard reflexive form corresponding to they and them is themselves, as in
they can do it themselves
. The singular form themself, first recorded in the 14th century, has re-emerged in recent years corresponding to the singular gender-neutral use of they, as in
this is the first step in helping someone to help themself
. The form is not widely accepted in standard English, however.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Perhaps theyself?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oneself, perhaps?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There does exist an alternative, themself, although I'm sure plenty of peevers would throw a fit at its use.

I am no expert at this, but it seems to me that once you accept "they" and "them" in the singular form, then you automatically need to accept "themself" as the standard reflexive form.

(Note, I don't know what "standard reflexive form" means either. Roll Eyes I am only using the term by presuming its meaning in the above quote.)

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Again, using they as the generic singular personal pronoun (with an singular antecedent) is not something new. It has been used by good authors since Chaucer's time 600 years ago. I have even seen examples of it in the King James version of the Bible (link). I would link to the MWDEU online, but it is no longer available free for browsing.

As for the question, themself seems felicitous.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The Oxford Dictionary seems to accept it, though, it says it's "nonstandard."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe MWDEU also says "themself" is nonstandard.