Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Some use of the words "starring" and "star of" that I am not familiar with.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some use of the words "starring" and "star of" that I am not familiar with. Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I clicked on a link about a missing actress who was said to be "starring" in Doctor Who. I subsequently did a google search on her name and several sites referred to her as "starring in" or "star of" Doctor Who.
Who was this actress? Jodie Whitaker? Mandip Gill? Perhaps from an earlier time, maybe Sophie Aldred, Billie Piper? No, it was someone called Tanya Fear who had a small role in exactly ONE episode. Hardly a star of the show in my opinion.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems the term has generalised to the point of worthlessness. "Chef" is another example which annoys prescriptivist me. Are all who work in kitchens chiefs? It seems so nowadays, without realizing that "chef" is short for "chef de cuisine, or "kitchen boss."

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
In a lot of non-fancy restaurants, they are called "cooks," right? I'd never call the cook a "chef" in our local deli, for example.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post