Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A word? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I was in a cab the other day, and the driver was chanting prayers while fingering a piece of cloth. When he finished with a group of prayers, he moved some beads on a rosary looking device that was hanging on the mirror. He was Muslim, and I know it's Ramadan right now. Does anyone know what those beads are called? It seemed a strange mix, to me, between Catholicism (the rosary) and Judaism (the chanting of prayers).

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I tend to call them worry beads generically, but I think the Muslim ones are called tabih. Another term is komboloi.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"prayer beads" is another. I'd Google the term to find the word in other languages but I don't know how

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those words, zmj. The beads didn't look like that, but I assume, like rosaries, they are very different.

He is going to drive me to the airport tomorrow, so I hope to ask him. When I asked him what his religion was (after he had finished his chanting), he confirmed for me that most of us in the U.S. mispronounce "Muslim." A speaker from the State Department once told us that the pronunciation is "moose-lim," though almost everyone says "muzz-lim." When I pronounce it "moose-lim," sometimes people will say, "Do you mean "muzz-lim?"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Japanese Buddhists have prayer beads, called nenju or juzu.

I wouldn't say that "muzzlim" is a mispronunciation. My dictionary gives [mǝzlǝm] or [mʊzlǝm]. In Arabic the sound might be [s], but in English it's [z].

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Prayer beads, prayer wheels, mandalas - hmmmm... Jung had a point in "Man And His Symbols!"

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
What was Jung's point about man and his symbols?

the un-enlightened,
CW

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Jung wrote a book by that title depicting how certain symbols are universally used across cultures that have not had direct contact. It supported his thesis of a "collective unconscious"
that is typical of all humans.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
Jung wrote a book by that title depicting how certain symbols are universally used across cultures that have not had direct contact. It supported his thesis of a "collective unconscious"
that is typical of all humans.

Or, much less speculatively evolution .

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post