New
Find
Notify
Tools

to "dooce" Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Ever heard of the verb "to dooce"? From today's Chicago Tribune:
    First there was Heather Armstrong, the constipated former Mormon Web designer who lost her job when her bosses saw what she'd been writing about them on her Web site. Then there was Joe Gordon, sacked from his job at Britain's biggest bookseller, Waterstone's, after grousing on his blog about life at "Bastardstone's." Then there was the Phantom Professor, unmasked and unemployed after writing about her spoiled students and supercilious tenured colleagues at Southern Methodist University.

And now there's Jan Pronk, the United Nations chief envoy to Sudan, sent packing after blogging about military setbacks suffered by Sudanese troops fighting rebels in Darfur.
    Getting canned for something you wrote on your Web site is such old news that there's a word for it--dooced, which comes from Armstrong's site, dooce.com. But this has to be the first time a diplomat has been dooced.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I could have sworn we've talked about this before, but I couldn't find it. Is it sometimes called something else?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah...here it is.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I know of one person at my own library whose position was made more unstable because of blogging, but I think that person quit (with encouragement). What words are there to describe that sort of "encouraged" quitting?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The phrase normally used here is that they left 'by mutual consent'.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post