Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    "Fad" - what's the adjective form?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Fad" - what's the adjective form? Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted

Question:
Says Kalleh, "Dictionary.com insists that the adjective form of 'fad' is 'faddy,' though I thought it was 'faddish.'" Dictionary.com is taking its cite from AHD.

To me, Kalleh's right; I don't buy what dictionary.com says. Which would you say?

Choices:
faddish
faddy
either, interchangeably
either, but with distinct meanings

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I hate to give away my vote Wink, but I hadn't even heard of "faddy" before I looked it up!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love to know why people chose to vote in a particular way or if it was just a guess. I certainly had a reason for my vote but I don't want to ruin the thread by posting it. Could someone please let me know when it is acceptable to do this or should we start another thread when the vote is deemed complete?

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to vote for either one.

From Dictionary.com:
quote:
2 entries found for faddy.
fad
n.

A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze.

[Possibly from fidfad, fussy person, fussy, from fiddle-faddle.]
faddism n.
faddist n.
faddy adj.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

faddy

adj : intensely fashionable for a short time [syn: faddish]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

It cites both faddy and faddish as being adjectives for fad. I don't remember ever hearing faddy before and I don't care for it. Fad is often used as an adjective, as in "fad diet" and "fad word."

For what it's worth, the OED Online labels faddy as "Chiefly dial. and colloq." and traces it to 1824. It cites faddish as an adjective dating to 1855.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
I would love to know why people chose to vote in a particular way or if it was just a guess.

I voted for faddish because I, on occasion, use the word. I didn't vote for faddy because I have never heard or used it.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Doad, no worries and no reason for hesitancy. Dive right in.

On a related note, consider the terms faddist and fadista as possible terms for "one who repeatedly follows the latest fad". Neither is familiar to me. Each is in use, according to google; the latter's number of "hits" is quite significant number (though distinctly minority).

And yet all the one-look dictionaries ignore the latter, though many recognize the former. Once again, I'm very skeptical of what the dictionaries claim.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I can't ever remember using either. If I wanted to write on this subject I'd probably use faddy, for no particular reason that I can give. I have seen faddish used, and it seems to mean precisely the same as faddy.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I wanted to write on this subject I'd probably use faddy, for no particular reason that I can give. I

Aha! I bet you've hit the nail on the head, arnie. I would imagine that "faddy" is much more common in the U.K. than here. After all we have some excellent linguaphiles here from the U.S. who hadn't heard of "faddy" (I exclude yours truly on that! Wink),and yet you'd choose it over "fadish."

Doad, what are your thoughts?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK then, I will post. I voted for either, with distinct meanings because of the definition I found in my beloved 2 volume dictionary that got CW so excited when I told her about it (strange woman). Both 'faddish' and 'faddy' are mentioned and both are described as adjectives. A 'faddish' describes 'the nature of a fad' whereas 'faddy' seems to refer more to a person as 'one who has a fad'.

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post