Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Erotomania Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
I heard erotomania used in one of my workshop sessions this week. Wikipedia gives good info. Anyone else wish to chime in?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I always thought it was called wishful thinking...

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dictionary has it as a relatively new term dating from 1874 meaning 'Melancholy or madness caused by imaginative love or by sexual excitement'.

It's not what I expected to come up at your conference CW. Librarians are obviously a much racier lot than I thought! Wink

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Librarians are obviously a much racier lot than I thought!

It came up in a session about security issues. Being in the public sector, and allowing anyone who wishes to just walk into our buildings, and being that we are such lovely, helpful people, there are times when people who are mentally ill will start to stalk one of us.

For instance, there was this guy I met on a gaming sight once that followed me to this word board . . . . (just kidding)

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting! I see from the Wikipedia article that they think John Hinckley, Jr., had erotomania.

From my discussions with CW this week, I assume that were we to have this disorder, the person we'd have erotomanic thoughts about would be Harrison Ford! Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Awwww, shucks, CW, I thought this was gonna be a personal revelation! But seriously, Sunflower mentioned that she had to have the police haul one of her "patrons" away not too long ago, so, yes, security IS a big issue in libraries.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
the person we'd have erotomanic thoughts about would be Harrison Ford!

But Kalleh, this is about other people having erotomania about US, not the other way 'round. Big Grin

Yes, Asa - libraries are only pretending to be very safe. When you consider that everyone is welcome in there, that means that all those people who are homeless but who should really be in a psychiatric ward can (and do) just wander in. Makes the practice of leaving children off at the library alone all the more dangerous, don't you think? That is why we are so concerned about that trend.

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
Yes, CW, it IS very scary that people don't supervise their children more closely at the library and elsewhere. I was just telling Asa about our library's convicted child molester (a "patron"), who ogles all the little girls, and pats them on their heads when he has an opportunity. YUK!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 235 | Location: Portland, OregonReply With QuoteReport This Post