Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Curate's egg Login/Join

posted
A few days ago a Brit posted "curate's egg" in another forum, and it occurred to me that we in the US never use the expression. Has it ever been popular here? Is it still common in the rest of the English-speaking world?

BTW, it's one of the few expressions whose precise origin is known. What others can you think of?

Posts: 6169 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I've used it occasionally.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say it's in regular use, but I've seen it in use every now and then, and like Bob have used it myself. Since it comes from a cartoon in that very British periodical, Punch, I'd be surprised if it were readily understood anywhere overseas, let alone in the USA.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect Ashleigh Brilliant was parodying it with his "I may not be totally perfect, but parts of me are excellent." Does anyone remember that crazy icon of the hippie era?

<Proofreader>
posted
Who could forget Ashley.. Apparently he's still around and I still have a bunch of his cards.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't use the phrase and don't hear it.
quote:
Since it comes from a cartoon in that very British periodical, Punch, I'd be surprised if it were readily understood anywhere overseas, let alone in the USA
"...let alone in the USA"?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Geoff asked
quote:
we in the US never use the expression. Has it ever been popular here? Is it still common in the rest of the English-speaking world?

I mean that it's unlikely to be heard in the English-speaking world other than the UK, such as Australia, NZ, India, South Africa and so on. Those other countries were (at the time of the Punch cartoon) run by the British.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah...that makes sense.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yet I had heard the term before seeing it in the aforementioned post. I checked the Wikipedia article on Punch and found that it was well known in India, and even influenced a Japanese publication, which lends credence to my assertion that non-UK English speakers might well have encountered "curate's egg" as well as other stuff from it.

As for my second question, "Houston, we have a problem" is a phrase whose precise date and location of origin is known. What others are there?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
which lends credence to my assertion that non-UK English speakers might well have encountered "curate's egg" as well as other stuff from it.

I suppose that a lot of the British rulers of the Raj subscribed to Punch and so the curate's egg joke was known there. The same might be true of many ex-pats living in the other English-speaking countries. I am rather surprised about Japan, though; they don't even have curates or bishops.

There must be thousands of similar phrases whose origin we know; especially ones originating relatively recently. "I have a dream" is the first to come to mind.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I had never heard this expression before, so read the wiki entry. Love this bit of British humor, combining the witty and the ridiculous.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I think over here it is more aptly called "priest's testicle."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post