Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a "sport"? Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
What is the test of whether an activity is a "sport"?

For example, I imagine most of us would agree that chess, cheerleading, and ballroom dancing are not "sports", even though they require skill and training. By what test do these fail to constitute "sport", while football succeeds?

This is prompted by an article in the paper, discussing the question and insisting that golf is not a sport. But I'll withhold the cite for now, to let our own brains function independently.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Since nobody seems to have risen to the bait of this post, could I suggest that a perfect definition, applicable to all sports, is, "...A way of wasting time, money and effort in approximately equal proportions..."

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the editorial, but can we get back to the word-related question? Smile

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have always thought that "sport" is an activity where you use physical exercise, and in fact the dictionary seems to validate that. Yet, then ballroom dancing would be a sport, and it really isn't. I would consider cheerleading a sport, though. Car racing? NO! I have always had a hard time considering golf a sport, especially when golfers use a golf cart. Yet, how can it be a sport for some and not for others. Interesting question, Shu!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post