Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chocolate Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Shu and I were in a Conservatory today where they had a chocolate plant. Next to it, there was a sign saying that legend says that the Aztecs' God Quetzalcoatl brought cocoa beans to earth and showed people how to make chocolate. However, it also said that the word "chocolate" derives from the word "Theobroma," which means "food of Gods." Yet, etymology online says:

1604, from Nahuatl xocolatl, from xococ 'bitter' + atl 'water.' Brought to Spain for first time 1520. John Hannon (financed by Dr. James Baker) started the first chocolate factory in the U.S. in Dorchester, 1780; Baker later founded Baker's Chocolate. Chocolate chip is from 1940.
'To a Coffee-house, to drink jocolatte, very good' [Pepys, 'Diary,' Nov. 24, 1664].

I assume the latter is true since "chocolate" doesn't sound like "Theobroma." Is it that the chemical name for chocolate is "Theobroma cacao?" I found that term online.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Sunflower and I were lucky enough to attend an exhibit on cacao growing, processing, and candy making at the World Forestry Center here in Portland a few months ago. They averred that the word does derive from the Nahuatl, and "theobroma" came later, once it had been introduced to Europe. Initially, it was VERY expensive, so only the very rich could afford it.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I thought it interesting that chocolate was almost considered sacred as they had guardian goddesses of cocoa, and cocoa was given at the last meal to human sacrifices.

I guess I consider chocolate rather sacred myself! Wink

posted Hide Post
At the exhibit that Asa and I attended, the most interesting thing I learned was that cacao trees grow only within a few degrees of the equator. Basically, that means a narrow section of Africa and South America. I felt a sense of panic a few months ago when I heard that civil war in a certain African country might affect the production of my beloved chocolate! Frown

Posts: 235 | Location: Portland, OregonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, at least there is still South America, but I know what you mean!

I wonder what it is with women and chocolate anyway! One of my friends recently asked me if he should send a dozen roses to his girlfriend. I told him of course...women really like that. However, I also said that Godiva Chocolate is a great alternative, too. He sent the roses. She came into my office and was so happy with them, but then said, "Though, chocolate would have even been better!"

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I used to always say chocolate is best. I think I've changed my mind a bit, though. Nowadays, it is nicer to get flowers because they last longer Big Grin and they don't make me feel guilty. Also, I will almost NEVER purchase flowers for myself . . . but I will run out and buy chocolate in an emergency.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't chocolate supposed to be something of an aphrodisiac for women, hence the concept that some women see it as better than sex? I'm sure I've read something along those lines but I can't recall where.

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
I entered "chocolate aphrodisiac" (without quotation marks) in Google and got 75,000 hits. Here is one of them.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
some women see it as better than sex

I can't help but think that those women must be missing something in the sex they've had.

Great site, though, Jerry! I liked the link to information on chocolate's health benefits.

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
Believe it or not (and I do), chocolate is supposed to be good for the teeth! I discovered Dagoba ("temple of the gods") organic chocolate bars last year in Portland. They come in wonderful flavors such as lavender, lime, etc. Asa sent me a selection for Valentine's Day. They're available at health food stores. Decadent but decidedly yummy! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sunflower,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunflower: Asa sent me a selection ... decadent but decidedly yummy! Smile
Sort of like Asa himself, eh? Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordnerd:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunflower: Asa sent me a selection ... decadent but decidedly yummy! Smile

Well, yes, now that you mention it! Big Grin

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
... and, as we said of chocolate, aphrodisiacal.

(A good double dactyl word, that, if anyone cares for the challenge.)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh...Hic, great! Now you know what I will be doing for the next few days! Roll Eyes

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by wordnerd:
quote:

Uhhh, Wordnerd, how would YOU know? You been talking to Sunflower? Roll Eyes

Chocolate IS an aphrodisiac, IF it's applied properly. Eek

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've tried to find out more about chocolate as an aphrodisiac and it's amazing how much information is out there. It seems that women are far more likely to be drawn to chocolate for a number of reasons. It is claimed that eating chocolate helps to address a hormonal imbalance during menstruation. Interesting but hardly counting as an aphrodisiac.

Psychologists believe that it acts as an aphrodisiac because as a society we associate the gift of chocolate with love and women have an inbuilt need to feel loved.

Chocolate was first discovered in South America over 1500 years ago where the Aztecs believed it increased sexual energy. One Aztec emperor drank 50 goblets of chocolate a day to increase his sexual potency. With that much chocolate in his diet I pity the woman underneath him!! It seems, however, that chocolate does contain chemicals that induce a feeling of well being and provide increased vitality and that women are more likely to be affected by these chemicals than men. The Aztecs also believed that chocolate helped to reduce a woman's inhibitions and that in turn increased the desire for sex as well as the satisfaction gained from it. These Aztecs certainly seem a lively bunch! Perhaps the use of chocolate was the first instance of date-rape.

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
and, as we said of chocolate, aphrodisiacal.

(A good double dactyl word, that, if anyone cares for the challenge.)

I have already risen to the limerick challenge and posted a defining limerick on OEDILF.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Date rape? LOL - I am literally rolling with that one, Doad. Very interesting train of thought.

Richard? Haul out the limerick here and let us have a gander!

~Dalai Lama