Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Similars Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
During a discussion I mentioned that some words were spelled the same but pronounced differently, like “polish”. As a reference to the country, it’s POH-lish
Bu to shine it’s PAH-lish. Similarly, to paddle is to ROH, while a fight is a RAW. Are there any other English words like this?

Just after posting this I came across POOSS (a face) and PUHSS (a vile excretion).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

<Proofreader>
posted
And I thought I discovered something......

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:

Just after posting this I came across POOSS (a face) and PUHSS (a vile excretion).

Interesting example. For us in the UK they are the opposite of what you are describing. They are actual homophones in that they are prononced the same but spelled differently - puss and pus.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Interesting example. For us in the UK they are the opposite of what you are describing. They are actual homophones in that they are prononced the same but spelled differently - puss and pus.

I've got to get my brain oiled so it works better. Bob is right for both countries.

posted Hide Post
Where do you get that brane ole? I need about six litres of it - and that's just for today.

Reminds me of why the British didn't follow up on their huge lead in computers and beat Gates and Jobs to it: They couldn't figure out how to make them damned machines leak oil.

Old British car owners will understand. The rest may not.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Tinman brought up heteronyms back in 2005. Goofy's link shows that there are quite a few. I hadn't realized how many there are.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post