Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    The posssessive of a possessive
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The posssessive of a possessive Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
How do you make the possessive of a possessive? Where do you put the apostrophe(s)?

Thursday's Wall Street Journal used a possessive as a name:
    In the wake of last year's bankruptcy filing by poultry giant Pilgrim's Pride Corp., hundreds of farmers suddenly find themselves unable to make mortgage payments on their pricey chicken coops. Today's chicken houses can be longer than a football field and cost more than $200,000. To maximize profits, many farmers own at least four, meaning high-six-figure mortgages are common. To cut costs, Pilgrim's has terminated contracts with at least 300 farms. Under these contracts, farmers receive a set price per pound for raising chicks supplied by Pilgrim's until they are ready for slaughter. For the farmers who have been cut loose, no contract means no chicks, which means no revenue -- and no money to pay off the coop mortgages.
But then it tried to make the possessive of that name:
    Pilgrim_?_ growers say they earn about 5 cents per pound per bird, but Pilgrim_?_ finances were so dire that it decided to terminate some contracts.
What combination of punctuation and s-letters goes at the question marks?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
 My way is Pilgrim's's.

What's yours ?

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Why not just Pilgrim's? Wont the single possessive do double duty?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I agree with Asa: Pilgrim's. However, the best answer is to recast the sentence.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think it has to be pilgrim's's or pilgrim's', were you not to rewrite the sentence. Rewriting the sentence is what I had originally suggested to Shu, and he said that wasn't his question.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post