Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Word I can't remember Login/Join

posted
I'm sure there's a word for the irritation/tickle in your throat that precedes a cough. The guys on AWADtalk couldn't find it though. Might begin with 'p'.

Many thanks if you can answer this.

posted Hide Post
I'd call it a 'pain in the a**e', but that's probably not the correct medical terminology.

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
The guys on AWADtalk couldn't find it though.

Hee! Hee! Hee!

Welcome, anycon! Great to see you here. Smile Big Grin Wink Cool

Gosh, anycon, as a member of the health profession, I haven't heard of it before. I went to the Web and found a lot of Google sites about "tickles in throats," but no scientific name.

It is an interesting question to me because just the other day my husband asked me if there were a scientific word for "tickle," and I hadn't searched for that yet. So far the closest I could find was titillate.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
Welcome back, anycon.

I tried the brute power method: a computer-search through OED reveals 282 definintion containing the word "throat". But none seems relevant, at least according to the search-summaries. I'll try to send you the entire list by PM, and perhaps something there will ring a bell.

Could you perhaps be thinking of vellicate?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I surely haven't heard it in medical circles, wordcrafter. It is an interesting word, though.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by anycon:
I'm sure there's a word for the irritation/tickle in your throat that precedes a cough.

Perhaps you're thinking of having a "frog" (phrog?) in your throat (M-W, definition 6; AHD, definition 8. Phlegm often causes a tickle in the throat.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Good thoughts, Tinman, but I don't think they are what anycon means. A "frog" in the throat more refers to a "hoarseness." And "phegm" may be the cause of the tickle, but it isn't a description of that tickling feeling before a cough.

posted Hide Post
Hmm. I'm beginning to think I made this word up! Sure I saw it browsing one of those obscure word sites once. You must understand it isn't necessarily a medical term--probably more like an one-off inkhorn term.

posted Hide Post
I can't really think of one at all. The best we've come up with (my ever-expanding 'detention' group) is a 'prickly' cough but it's honestly not a term I've come across before. I think that Cat's definition is closest for me. I would expand on this point but as I'm surrounded by children I'd better not!!

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
You must be a terrifically popular teacher Doad, all those kids misbehaving just to get to spend some detention time with you. Smile

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another cross I have to bear I'm afraid! Cool

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post