Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muniment Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
I've absolutely never heard of the word muniment, before finding it in a novel I just finished. It's seen in the passage below, part of a letter from a British lady. Is this word at all familar to Brits?
    A few days ago we were clearing out Brompton Hall in preparation for its transfer to new owners. In one of the storage closet in the muniment room -- a sort of family archive room -- was a parcel wrapped in oilcloth ...

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose you've already been here, but

http://onelook.com/?w=muniment+&ls=a

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It sounds vaguely familiar but I wouldn't say it's a word I know.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it's not so much British as archaic, I think.

muniment rooms

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here's what OED says about muniment room
quote:
1661 A. WOOD Life (1891) 18 Mar. I. 384 Dr. Wallis sent for A. W. to com to him, then in the *muniment-room in the School Tower. 1826 B. DISRAELI Vivian Grey I. II. iv. 111 A turreted tower, the small square window of which..illumined the muniment room of the House of Carabas. 1921 A. HUXLEY Crome Yellow xiii. 120 Our muniment room is particularly rich in ancient records. 1981 Law Rep.: Appeal Cases 596 A place may be used as a repository for archives without being used as a place of business, e.g. a muniment room.
According to OED, it is chiefly a law word. You're sure you haven't heard of it, Shu?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post