Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I've begun reading the book, "I Don't Believe in Atheists," by Chris Hedges and am struck by his constantly using the word, "religion" where "spirituality" would seem far more appropriate. How do you folks define the two terms?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say that if it involves obeying the dictates of old men with beards, robes and funny hats, it's a religion.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
dictates of old men with beards, robes and funny hats,

That's sorcery.

posted Hide Post
quote:
That's sorcery.

Sure is. The foundation of the Judeo-Christian tradition is a monopoly on magic. I suppose that's why they look like the 30th Class Reunion of the Fellowship of the Ring

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Well, except for the two skinheads, one of whom is in a convict's outfit.

Been hanging out in Museamuse's part of the world?

Still waiting for some definitions - the daffynitions are for the Bluffing Game!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Still waiting for some definitions

I wasn't being facetious. Spirituality equals religion minus the old men with beards, robes, hats and amulets on long chains. That's the way I see it.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Without going to the dictionaries, I see spirituality as more general and not necessarily based on any particular sect's beliefs and traditions (organized religion). In nursing, for example, everyone needs a spiritual assessment, and the stated religion would be part of that. Spirituality in nursing is described somewhat like this: "It includes the individual's beliefs, expressions of these beliefs, how the person relates to himself and others, his world, a greater power--and how he perceives the meaning of life and death." [from this online editorial.]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Since every religion (and every deity) has been created by humankind, then I would consider that it is entirely up to the creator and subsequent believers to call it what they will.

There is no tangible proof for any religion or deity so, if I choose to start a religion that worships the frog-god of the planet Saturn, nobody will be able to disprove my god's existence until someone gets to Saturn and has a good look around. And even then, just like Saddam Hussein's WMDs nobody will ever be able to be 100% sure that my frog-god isn't hiding somewhere. Which is why religions hang on - although none can be proved, neither can they be disproved, since it is near impossible to prove non-existence.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It's probably best if we keep this a word related discussion.

I like this definition from the OED: "Of or pertaining to, affecting or concerning, the spirit or higher moral qualities", though they do add esp. regarded in a religious aspect. I like that first part, and I absolutely don't think it has to have anything to do with structured religion.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post