Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Dissect" Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Today's paper has a story about gutting New Orleans homes damaged by Hurricane Katrina, stripping them down to bare stud wals and floors, to be rebuilt. It has three words whose usage structk me as a bit odd, dissect, fortuitously and fantastical, hence three treads, this being #1.
quote:
Mike Bertel guided a growling electric saw through splotcy, spirallying patterns of dull colors. Dust flew everywhere. It's mold, smothering entire walls in Cheryl Rachal's flood-damaged, two-story house. ... Mr. Bertel, caked in dust from wrangling moldy sheetrock, disected a 10-foot panel of the ruined wall and hustled it outside onto a 6-foot-high- by 40-foot-long trash heap.
I think of dissecting as involving medicine or biology. Is the above a proper usage? Is it a common one?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't think I've seen 'dissect' used this way, though it is often used to mean analyze, such as "dissect" the plan.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Well, it literally means "to cut apart", so the word's use here seems perfectly OK to me.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post