Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Dirt-y Thread Login/Join

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted
What's the difference between soil and dirt?

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
1.- One point in Scrabble,

2.- They can both be on a shirt but only one can rhyme with it, and

3.- No one laughs at a soily joke.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
As I said in CJ's birthday limerick, he does make things interesting, doesn't he? Wink Actually, he makes some good points.

I think of "dirt" as more general than soil. "Dirty" is filthy, whether it be from soil or from whatever. Yet, "dirt" can be used as a synonym for "soil," though you'll never see a farmer using it as a synonym.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
quote:
hough you'll never see a farmer using it as a synonym.
Never see -- and never hear, either, eh?

<ducks-the-brickbats icon>

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes, something that is dirty is filthy, but 'soil' conveys the idea of good clean dirt. I notice that washing powder manufacturers, etc. usually talk about 'soiled clothes', not 'dirty clothes'. Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
Yes, something that is dirty is filthy, but 'soil' conveys the idea of good clean dirt.

Yet if you soil your knickers... Eek

We humans are soily types, I suppose, since that's what "humus" means.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
... 'soil' conveys the idea of good clean dirt.

Except when it's night soil!

quote:
I notice that washing powder manufacturers, etc. usually talk about 'soiled clothes', not 'dirty clothes'. Smile

When I think of soiled clothes, I think of a baby soiling his diaper.

I pretty much equate dirt with soil, though I know they are technically not the same. Technically soil is the outermost layer of the earth that consists of weathered rock, organic matter (living and dead), air, and water. I think there is a fifth component, but I forget what it is. Some definitions throw in "and is capable of supporting plant life." I've even read some definitions that say it must have soil horizons to be considered soil! Definitions vary, depending on point of view. It means something slightly different to a geologist than it does to an agronomist.

But, to a plain old "dirt farmer," it's the stuff he grows his crops in. Some may bristle at calling it dirt. I suppose it's because dirt is the worthless stuff that gets tracked all over the house. Worthless for growing things in, that is. The compacted dirt that's in his driveway is soil to a road construction engineer.

Note that the potting mixes you buy at the nursery are generally called soilless potting mixes.

Tinman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

Technically soil is the outermost layer of the earth that consists of weathered rock, organic matter (living and dead), air, and water. I think there is a fifth component, but I forget what it is.

There are more than five. Cigarette butts, beer cans, syringes, and used condoms seem to be major components.

Tinman, we seem to be on the same page regarding "night soil!" What does that say about our thought processes, I wonder? Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never see -- and never hear, either, eh?

Ahhh...Hic, you're always the critic. Wink

However, in rethinking, I do remember when I have heard farmers call soil "dirt." When they want a load of soil delivered for some reason, they might call it a "load of dirt."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post