Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Medical quackery or legitimate term?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medical quackery or legitimate term? Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
A TV ad for a local hospital proclaims, "tomotherapy." Since a tome is a slicing device, it seems a bit far-fetched to say that they'll slice you like pastrami as a therapeutic technique. While I understand the figurative use of the term, such as in PET scan (the "T" being "tomograph") that's a diagnostic tool, not a therapeutic tool.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, Asa, I hadn't heard of it, but I have been out of the clinical part of nursing for awhile. While I agree the term is pushing the envelope a bit, tomography is imaging by sections, and the word derives from tomos, which means "a section," "a slice" or "a cutting." Taking it further, tomotherapy is a cutting edge radiation treatment where the treatments can be specifically guided to the exact site of the tumors.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post