Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eclipsed Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
How would you use the word eclipsed in a metaphorical sense?

I saw a piece in the sports pages of a newspaper today that used it wrongly in my view. I feel it means "greatly overshadowed" or similar. It does not mean just "beaten", etc.

Talking about a football club's results at their home ground, the article said that they had only lost one game, which record was eclipsed only by Chelsea [who had lost none].

Surely eclipsed is too strong a word in this context?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'd agree.Eclipsed seems a very odd choice of word there. For me the implication of one thing metaphorically eclipsing another is that the eclipsed thing is made insignificant by the comparison.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I haven't used the term that often, but AHD states that one definition is: "To surpass; outshine: an outstanding performance that eclipsed the previous record." Could they have appropriately used it to mean "outshined by"?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
But, Kalleh, would you say that a record that was only slightly better than another actually outshone it?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
No, you are right, Arnie. But I would say that they had "surpassed" them. Here is where I find dictionaries confusing. Which definitions are appropriate to use?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post