Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The old battle axe Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I watched a History Channel program that mentioned the francisca, or Frankish battle ax, but offered no explanation as to why a Frankish word was not used for it, francisca being clearly Latinate. In viewing the Wikipedia article on it, I found two Latin names, securis and bipennis, but no clearly Frankish word. Was securis perhaps a Frankish term borrowed by the Romans?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's thought that *frankon was a Germanic word meaning "javelin". This was borrowed into Latin as Francus, a term for the Franks. This is where francisca presumably comes from, as well as French and ferengi.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I found this post that I hadn't seen and then began to wonder how the word "battle-axe" developed to mean an "aggressive, domineering woman" (at least as defined by Dictionary.com...not sure that's precisely how I've seen it used). Etymology.com just says,
quote:
c.1380, "weapon of war;" meaning "formidable woman" is U.S. slang, first recorded 1896.

Thoughts?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Welllll, it was to that expression that my original title alluded. As for women being "battle axes," they're also accused of having sharp tongues to cut down males. I suppose it's women's ability to throw words with devastating effect that's being referenced.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done a little searching and found a couple sites that say pretty much what Asa said. The first one seems to be just someone's personal thoughts. Here it is, misspellings and all:
quote:
A battle axe was used by the Vikings and was quite a formable wepon. But as they were used more and more they became loose and rattled. so an old battle axe would refer to someone who talked exesively and loudly. There are many such insults that are used in the same way today.

The second is from Take Our Word For It (TOWFI), "the bi-weekly Word-origin Webzine," by Mike and Melanie. Here's what they say:
quote:
All right, Tex, we're going to help you but only because Melanie is a Texan (and because we have a cat named Aggie). A battle-axe in this sense is "a formidable or domineering woman". The metaphor evokes the intimidating nature of certain women by alluding to the terror experienced when encountering a ferocious weapon on the field of battle. The term, with this meaning, arose at the end of the 19th century. We particularly like this, the earliest quotation given by the OED: "Say, there was a battle-ax if ever you see one. She had a face on her that’d fade flowers."

Wikipedia just says its "A cautionary/derogatory label for a formidable & forbidding woman", but gives several uses of the word that you might find interesting.

But the one I found most interesting was from Stubblebine Genealogy Archives, and alludes to an early religious sect in Pennsylvania called "Battle Axes." Here's an excerpt:

quote:
"Most extraordinary of the nineteenth century enthusiasts were the followers of a New England prophet, Theophilus R. Gates. Preaching views on sex far from orthodox, Gates gained some adherents among the Dutch farmers in the country back of Pottstown. No wife, he declared, should lack a husband brisk in bed; no husband should lack an "attentive" wife. The emphasis was on sexual satisfaction rather than marriage, for if a woman came upon a man unhappily married it was her right to offer herself to him to console him. This was a religion suited to strongly sexed people with inhibited spouses. Tied in with this was "planned parenthood," no doubt a wise precaution in a religion in which sex relations were so free. In addition there was a measure of communism in that all worldly goods were to be shared. A colony called Free Love Valley, where both free love and nudism could be' practiced, was established not far from Pottstown. As soon as the local authorities discovered what was up, they arrested Gates and his followers, charging them with adultery. Apparently religious fanaticism could be carried too far, even in Pennsylvania."

From Christian Cyclopedia , Produced by The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod

quote:
Gates, Theophilus Ransom

(1787–1846). B. Hartland, Connecticut; early experienced strange, disturbing visions; in Philadelphia 1810–35; criticized existing religions; pub. the monthly Reformer; unhappy home life led him to adopt perfectionism*; influenced by J. H. Noyes*; launched “Battle-Axe Experiment” 1837, advocating free love based on a “principle of holiness” leading to union of “soul mates”; his colony in “Free Love Valley” near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, disappeared after he left in reaction against excesses.

And Gates is also mentioned in Pennsylvania: A Guide to the Keystone State, compiled by the Federal Writers' Project of the Works Projects Administration (WPA), copyright by the University of Pennsylvania in 1940 (p. 430). William Stubblebine is also mentioned, which ties it into the genealogy site above. It contains a quote from the Bible explaining the name. The actual quote is from Jeremiah 51:20, not 51:6: "Thou art my battle axe and weapons of war: for with thee will I break in pieces the nations, and with thee will I destroy kingdoms;"

Apparently Gates was a Baptist preacher in Virginia and left to go to Philadelphia, which was a "big, bad city" in those times. He eventually teamed up with Hannah Williamson, the rebellious daughter of a Welsh Quaker family. She was described as "not bad looking," and an "earner of a public and unconventional livelihood."

From "The Battle Axes of Free Love Valley":
quote:
After Theophilus Gates died, Hannah Williamson became the leader of the Battle Axes. An in-your-face type, Hannah was often thrown out of camp meetings and church services for her disruptive tactics. She left North Coventry in the late 1850s with her ardor for the Battle Axe still burning brightly. It was said by her family that she went west to spread the word.

Sounds like Hannah Williamson was the original "old battle axe."

Here are some accounts of the Battle Axes:

THEOPHILUS GATES AND THE BATTLE AXES OF THE LORD

Theophilus Gates and the Battle-Axes

Free Love Valley

The Battle Axes of Free Love Valley

From Farm Community to Haven for Free Sexual Affairs

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post