Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

balaclava Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In another post I referred to the article on the fox hunting debate in England. In the article they mentioned the wearing of balaclavas, which I had never heard of. Shu explained them as woolen hoods. Is it also the piece that comes up over the chins?

Shu says (and the dictionary confirmed this) that it came from the Crimean War. He said many names of clothing came from there, such as the 'cardigan' sweater and 'raglan' sleeves.

Does anyone know more names for clothing that come from the Crimean War? Why would articles of clothing be named after the Crimean War, versus other wars?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Why would articles of clothing be named after the Crimean War, versus other wars?

Because earlier wars were fought in the nude! Just look at those Greek friezes and urns and such! Helmets, shields, and sandals, and that's all!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Actually, Asa, didn't the Scottish warriors fight in the nude? William Wallace and his bunch - they'd drop their kilts and paint their faces blue, etc. . . .

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
A very good and unbiased article to my mind. Hadlow is actually quite near to where I live - about five stops away on the Reading to Tonbridge line. It's quite an old village, founded about a thousand years ago and is in the heart of the area generally referred to as "The Garden of England". Kent is traditionally the area where the best hops were grown and many of the country's best breweries were from Kent. Sadly few of the old ones are left apart from Shepherd Neame, although there have been a few new ones started in the past few years.

Balaclava helmets were originally used to keep people's heads, necks and ears warm, while leaving the face uncovered and many people still use them for that purpose. However, if the balaclava is reversed and a couple of eyeholes cut, then the wearer's identity is completely obscured. When the act of sabotage or whatever is completed, the balaclava can be removed and hidden away and nobody will be any the wiser.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
For more on cardigans and raglan sleeves, see this page.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I first heard the word in the first year of my marriage when hubby said "have you seen my balaclava?" I didn't know if I had or not! He tried to describe it to me, and then I realized I'd probably put it in the closet (duh). I DID find it, but he's since lost that one (again) and several others, since. Good thing there are still plenty available for sale.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
In my home county in California, there is a city named Sebastopol, which was named after the siege of the similarly named Russian city of Sevastopol by the French and British troops. Here's a lovely map.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Jheem, that is a lovely map. I have always loved maps, anyway.

Balaclava helmets were originally used to keep people's heads, necks and ears warm,

Now, in the picture in the paper there was a little piece that came up over the chin. I also saw that in CW's link, though her link didn't have the triangle effect that the article's balaclava had. Is that chin covering a part of the balaclava? The reason I ask is because both Richard and the dictionary made such a point to say that the piece leaves the face uncovered. I consider my chin part of my face. (Perhaps I am being too literal?)

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I expect it depends on how cold it is. If it's just chilly, most people would wear a balaclava with the face, including the chin, uncovered. On a very cold day they are likely to pull up the helmet so that as little as possible is exposed.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I just started reading a book that takes place at a Balaclava Agricultural College, _The Luck Runs Out_ by Charlotte Macleod. Did one of you recommend this to me?

Anyway, in checking to see if it's a real place I found this ghost town.!

I've also (from the book) learned a new word: percipience. Maybe I've seen it before, but never had the percipience to notice.

~Dalai Lama