Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finglish Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
There is a reference to a "word-changing language game" in Boing Boing. Have you heard of it before? It can't be the same as this Finglish language. I wonder why they call it Finglish, though. Any ideas?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder why they call it Finglish, though. Any ideas?

Probably because it involves adding a lot of f's in between syllables.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
A friend posted a link to the article on the Morphology of Peevology on Facebook. The language-game you link to on Wikipedia is definitely not the same as the one in the Boing-Boing article. Finglish started in the '20s and is a blending of Finnish and English, whence the name.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I also am a member of the Morphology of Peevology Facebook, and that's where I got my link. Not sure which link you're referring to.

At any rate, my question was that I thought it odd that this new word-changing game, much like pig Latin when I was a kid, is named after the linguistic phenomenon described by Martti Nisonen in the '20s. I suppose arnie could be right about the "f's"

I also wondered if anyone on Wordcraft had heard someone speaking this word-changing game. It was hard to discern when you linked to the conversation using it.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I just listened to that audio again of the girl using that language game. She seems to talk so much faster than when she translates it. I've thought that before about foreign languages, too. The speakers seem to talk so much faster than we do in English.

Is that because I know English so my perception of how fast they speak is altered?