Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    A question about a rude word
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question about a rude word Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Boris Johnson, our erudite but unpleasant leader in a speech has accused Jeremy Corbyn, his political opponent of onanism. This is of course an obscure synonym for masturbation and a posh boy’s way of saying, “he’s a wanker”. It made me wonder if there is a US equivalent of “wanker” as I know it isn’t used over there. In either its meaning as masturbator or just as a generally offensive person.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the biblical Onan, when called upon to carry on his deceased brother's line by inseminating his brother's wife, pulled out and "spilled his seed." How does the erudite Mr Johnson and most of christianity equate early withdrawal with a do-it-yourself job?

In the US of A, "Johnson" is sometimes used as a euphamism for "penis." https://www.urbandictionary.co...ine.php?term=johnson So perhaps the erudite politician is from a long line of wankers?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I love that word "wanker." Sadly every time I try to use it in my fave online word game they ding it as no such word!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:

In the US of A, "Johnson" is sometimes used as a euphamism for "penis." So perhaps the erudite politician is from a long line of wankers?

Indeed, and in the UK Trump means fart. Make of that what you will.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does explain a lot, doesn't it.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Bob & Geoff you are always expanding my "vocabulary." Must do double dactyl using new insight as to UK slang "trump." But hey Geoff [I had to look it up]: why "If I remember correctly"? Always one to use the vernacular, I'd say IIRR [If I remember right]. Big Grin

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is flickinging a spitwad with one's fingers a ptooeydactyl?

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Only if it bounces twice after landing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
fave online word game they ding it as no such word!

Words with Friends? It is annoying how many "real words" are not acceptable in Words with Friends.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post