Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't get fiscal Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Here' a story taken from the "This is true" newsletter.

Be it Resolved: Missouri State Representative Tracy McCreery just can’t stand it anymore. Her colleagues, she says, can’t pronounce the word “fiscal” and keep saying “physical” instead, so she has introduced House Resolution 1220 to “urge the members of the Missouri House of Representatives to use the word ‘fiscal’ instead of ‘physical’ when referring to fiscal matters,” the resolution says. “I did it because I hit a wall,” McCreery said. Her colleagues’ grammar gaffes are like “nails on a chalkboard” to more literate members. “There are a lot of reasons to be depressed about the Missouri Legislature, and this just kind of piles on.” She is serious with the resolution, and insists it’s not a joke. “It happens pretty much daily,” she says. “It really does.” (RC/St. Louis Riverfront Times)

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
This looks like the original story in the Riverfront Times.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So funny! Big Grin

I know what she means though. It is annoying when people mispronounce words. Remember "nuclear?"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Remember "nuclear?"

What's wrong with "nucular"?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think I've mentioned it here, too, that my editor, who is a total prescriptivist, says that she is amendable to something. Every time she says it, I snicker a bit. If only she knew...

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post