Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Onboarding Login/Join

posted
The company I work for has just been bought by another company. We have been invited to an "onboarding presentation". I've never heard this word before. More importantly, aren't such presentations considered torture under the Geneva Convention?

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Ugh!

I work for the government and our department is being expanded to take in the work of a number of smaller agencies. We're in the middle of a whole series of presentations about "the new Ofsted". Attendance is supposed to be voluntary, but I suspect they'll be checking up on us.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I consider this no worse than "deplaning", which assumes that "planing" means "to board a plane". I believe this is a case of anthimeria.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I fail to understand why people feel compelled to complicate things. "Boarding" says the same thing minus the redundancy. Perhaps if they had said, "reboarding," suggesting a change in who's carrying the company name, I could comprehend it. It seems similar to saying, "Where is it at?" Can't most people fathom "Where is it?"

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
These companies really know how to torture us, dont' they? I am in the middle of our every-3-years strategic initiatives. We worked for about 10 hours straight today, and finally one of our Board members (thank goodness!) told the consultant that he just couldn't work for another minute. The consultant then told us he'd give us homework to look at for the evening, and that Board member again refused. "Enough is enough!" he said. Good for him! We were all thinking that, but of course we all couldn't say it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post