Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Workaholics Login/Join

posted
What is this business of tacking 'aholic' on to a noun to mean addict?

If an alcoholic is one addicted to drink, surely your high flying City man is a 'Workic', and your sweetie gobbling obese is a chocic?

Or conversely, should the drink one be 'alcoholaholic'? And in any case, why is it 'aholic' and not 'oholic'?

Posts: 15 | Location: S.W. UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'm not sure that I follow you entirely, but I agree that it sems odd that we use part of the word, alcohol in order to form the various spin-off terms.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And in any case, why is it 'aholic' and not 'oholic'?

But it's a chocOholic, isn't it? Since it's chocOlate...

A subject dear to my heart! (chocolate, that is!)

Ros

Posts: 185 | Location: London, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
A subject dear to my heart! (chocolate, that is!)
=========================================
And waist, and hips, and thighs and... Wink

Ah, yes, chocaholism isn't exclusively a woman's addiction!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The word "alocoholic" being incorrectly divided to create a suffix for "chocoholic", "workaholic" and so on isn't unique.

After all the word "hamburger" derives not from the word "ham" but the word "Hamburg" so a cheeseburger should derive from cheeseburg, a chickenburger from chickenburg and so on.

Can anyone think of more examples of "bad" derivations of suffixes or stems ?

Non curo ! Si metrum no habet, non est poema.

Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Toy library (unless it means a model of a library, of course)

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"A subject dear to my heart! (chocolate, that is!)" You and me both, Ros!

And Bob Hale said: "After all the word "hamburger" derives not from the word "ham" but the word "Hamburg" so a cheeseburger should derive from cheeseburg, a chickenburger from chickenburg and so on."

But, Bob, as previously discussed, a hamburger is derived from the town of Hamburg (not word "hamburg") that claims the origin of it!

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
If most parents can't tell you that "colic" is defined as "the severe abdominal pain caused by spasm, obstruction, or distention of any of the hollow viscera such as the intestines," they probably could tell you that a 3 a.m. colicky baby is one of life's special joys.

Might an infant who seems addicted to this particular malady be considered a "colicaholic"?? I say yes, if for no other reason than I like the way the word sounds. (Yet another entry for my updated OED!)

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Can anyone think of more examples of "bad" derivations of suffixes or stems ?

What about the -gate usage? First we had Watergate, but then we had Camillagate, Cheriegate etc.

Posts: 245 | Location: Surrey, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Good one, Paul. In trying to find a Web site with "gate" words, I came acoss this:

"This is a familiar progression: the rash of '-gate' words spawned by the Watergate scandal (Irangate, Contragate and so on) finally reached its logical conclusion when Oliver North faced allegations of using public money to pay for a security gate at his own home – a cause célèbre that became known as 'Gategate'."

The entire article discusses "linguistic inventiveness" and is interesting. The "new black"?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
While I haven't heard them in some time, "-nik" words were popular for a while. The Russian satellite "Sputnik" prompted "beatnik," "peace-nik," "no-good-nik" (a favorite) and many others.

Might a person who enjoys eating meals outdoors sitting on a blanket spread over the ground be known as a "picnic-nik"?

(No, I suppose not...)

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post