Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Essential Login/Join

Picture of Graham Nice
posted
Can anybody tell me what the word essential means in the phrase essential oils?

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Essential oil n : a volatile oil having the odor or flavor of the plant from which it comes; used in perfume and flavorings [syn: volatile oil]

Also, consider (French: l'essence = English: Gasoline

[This message was edited by jerry thomas on Wed Nov 26th, 2003 at 6:22.]

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
To somewhat combine both points, I once dated a woman who had extensive knowledge of car repair. Early on in our relationship I sprayed a little WD-40 behind each ear before going out on a date and she absolutely loved it. While I dislike the expression, I "got lucky" that night and credit the essential oils involved.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
CJ, is that auto-eroticism?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I know that I am essentially oiled after drinking a whole Fuller's 1845! Wink Roll Eyes Razz Big Grin

[Sorry, Graham; I know you asked a serious question. Since Jerry was very informational in his answer, will you please pardon my smart remark?]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Essence" also means the central, necessary, distinguishing-from-other-things, identifying part of a substance - dammitol, the essential part.

Compare "essence of peppermint" or "essence of roses" = attar = oil of roses.

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look under "oil" in Dorland's Medical Dictionary (Merck Source). There are about 100 definitions of different types of oil, including essential and fixed oil (and oil of male fern). It says an essential oil (also called distilled, ethereal or volatile oil)is "an oil that evaporates readily; such oils are usually found in aromatic plants, to which they give odor and other characteristics. Most consist of a mixture of two or more terpenes", while a fixed oil (also called expressed or fatty oil) is "an oil that does not evaporate on warming. Such oils, consisting of a mixture of fatty acids and their esters, are classified as solid (chiefly stearin), semisolid (chiefly palmitin), and liquid (chiefly olein). They are also classified as drying, semidrying, and nondrying, depending on their tendency to solidify when exposed, in a thin film, to air".

I wondered why it was called "essential". Then I found a site from the Biology Department of the College of St. Benedict/St. John's University, Collegeville, MN:

I. What is an essential oil?

A. Definition.
An aromatic liquid (oil). They usually smell pleasant. Since these oils have an odor or essence, they are called “essential oils”.

B. Fixed vs. volatile oil
Essential oils are volatile, or in other words, they evaporate readily. In contrast, the fixed oils like corn, safflower and peanut, do not evaporate. The Grease Spot Test is a test to determine whether an oil is volatile or fixed. Simply spot a small sample of the oil on a sheet of paper. If it leaves an oily mark, like after eating some potato chips, the oil is fixed. If it disappears, it is an essential oil.

There's a lot more on this site about perfumes and spices, in case you're interested. It says that light and oxygen can ruin perfumes, perfumes work as antiseptics, and increase perspiration rate and cool the body. If you want to know more, you'll have to click here.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
CJ, is that _auto_-eroticism?

Reluctantly, I take a back seat to you (and to J.T., for that matter) when it comes to puns.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by shufitz: CJ, is that auto-eroticism?
Originally posted by C J Strolin: Reluctantly, I take a back seat to you when it comes to puns.

Giving new meaning to the phrase "back seat driver."

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post