Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Definite or Definitive? Login/Join

Picture of pearce
posted
May I draw attention to two similar words, often misused ( even in these pages Frown ), which have different but confusingly overlapping meanings: Definite and Definitive.

DEFINITE, Having fixed or exact limits; clearly defined, determinate, fixed, certain; exact, precise. (Of material, or, more commonly, immaterial things.)
Example:
We often feel that something in our sensible environment is familiar, without having any definite recollection of previous occasions on which we have seen it.
(The Analysis of Mind by Russell, Bertrand)

DEFINITIVE, “As an adj. Having the function of defining, or of being definite! a. Having the function of finally deciding or settling; decisive, determinative, conclusive, final: esp. in definitive sentence, …
2. Definitives..are commonly called by grammarians, ‘articles,’ , . They are of two kinds, either those properly so called, or else the pronominal articles, such as this, that, any, &c. … As articles are by their nature definitives..they cannot be united with such words as are..as definite as they may be; (the personal pronouns for instance).” (OED)

Correctly used:
Richard English: Michael Jackson is the doyen of beer writers and his World Guide is the definitive work. 30 Jan, 2003 06:51

The definitive treaty is now signed

Both territories..have issued definitive stamps recognized by the Postal Office

Wrongly used:
His work is the definite biography of Wordsworth.

We don't have any definitive plans for the weekend.

The internet is a definitive help in learning languages.

you can lump people into definitive groups like that.

I think that in correct usage, definite and definitive both apply to what is precisely defined or explicitly set forth. But definitive most often refers specifically to a judgment or description that serves as a standard or reference point for others, as in the definitive decision of the court (which sets forth a final resolution of a judicial matter) or the definitive biography of Nelson (AHD 2000).

Does this confusing usage irritate you too? Roll Eyes

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I hadn't known the specifics about which to use when, though the examples you post sound right. The only one I might question is that I have heard, "I have no definitive plans this weekend," though I have also heard "definite" in that case, too.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
The only one I might question is that I have heard, "I have no definitive plans this weekend," though I have also heard "definite" in that case, too.

No, this example is wrong usage. Your plans for the weekend might amount to anything from a long lie-in with your dearly beloved to a riotous series of parties, or watching a baseball game etc. So they are not defing, specific and certainly not a standard reference, which would be required if correctly described as definitive.

It all sounds a bit heavy and prescriptive now. Apologies. But Kalleh might recognise another instance of faulty usage: "you can lump people into definitive groups like that."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
But, Pearce, you could say that you had definitive plans for the weekend, right?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fom the AHD:
    Usage Note: Definite and definitive both apply to what is precisely defined or explicitly set forth. But definitive most often refers specifically to a judgment or description that serves as a standard or reference point for others, as in the definitive decision of the court (which sets forth a final resolution of a judicial matter) or the definitive biography of Nelson (that is, the biography that sets the standard against which all other accounts of Nelson's life must be measured).

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
Fom the AHD:
    Usage Note: Definite and definitive both apply to what is precisely defined or explicitly set forth. But definitive most often refers specifically to a judgment or description that serves as a standard or reference point for others, as in the definitive decision of the court (which sets forth a final resolution of a judicial matter) or the definitive biography of Nelson (that is, the biography that sets the standard against which all other accounts of Nelson's life must be measured).

Tinman

Thanks for repeating exactly what I quoted in my original entry.

Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
But, Pearce, you could say that you had definitive plans for the weekend, right?

You could, but I humbly suggest you would be wrong. Definite is the appropriate word in that context.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Ah, but my plans are the archetype, the original model, the paradigm, the definitive plans against which all others are judged and found wanting.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Ah, but my plans are the archetype, the original model, the paradigm, the definitive plans against which all others are judged and found wanting.

Good for you. Get your plans approved by the OED or other generally credited source of wisdom and we shall all know what to do with our definite weekend plans, and, know how they fall short of your definitive ones.