Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apolitical Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
On Saturday's chat I was referring to somebody not being political (I don't recall the context), and Zmj said that everyone is political (correct, Z?). I said I'd read about the word political to see what I was missing, and I did. However, I still think that people can be apolitical, even after reading about the word. The word comes from the Latin word politic(us), meaning civic, and it means pertaining to, or involving, the state or its government. Aren't the non-voters apolitical? Or those who don't care? If everyone is political, why does the word apolitical exist?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
What I meant was that an "apolitical" stance is a political choice that some folks make. Going along with the status quo is a kind of politics. To me, that is. I'm sure most here will disagree, as you do, and I can live with that. The word apolitical exists because it's a useful word. But, remember, just because a word exists doesn't mean that it's referent is real. (Cf. unicorns, elves, etc.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't think we always have to agree or come to consensus. I love a great debate. One of the problems with my profession is that everyone wants to wait for a consensus. With 3,000,000 nurses that will happen when Hell freezes over!

Here is my thought. If you don't care at all about politics, the state or its government, is that political? Can't one live without being involved in any way with politics? Or less importantly, couldn't you spend a day not being political? Or an hour?

I may have confused things with the apolitical comment. As soon as I posted it, I realized it was silly to think that words shouldn't exist just because what they refer to aren't real. On the other hand, how can apolitical be a useful word, if one believes everything is political?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post