Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    A question raised in class today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question raised in class today Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I wonder if anyone would care to comment on this.

We were reading a text that I had prepared in class today. It was about an accident between two cars

In it, there were two phrases which ought to, but don't quite, form a matched pair and I was asked about them.

I had written "driver's side door" and "passenger side door". Notice that the first is a possessive, complete with its possessive apostrophe-s, The second uses the word "passenger" - with no possessive - as part of a compound adjective. Now, I suspect it should have a hyphen but that's not the point. It occurred to me that I always say "driver's side door" and "passenger-side door"

I've done a bit of googling in various spellings and combinations and I've come up with some supportive figures

drivers side (with or without hyphens and apostrophes) 3.6 Million
driver side (with or without hyphens) 6.6 Million
passengers side (with or without hyphens and apostrophes) 0.5 Million
passenger side (with or without hyphen) 9.3 Million

It's not as marked as I'd expected, and it's a bit muddied by the fact that lots of the hits seem to use all possible combinations more or less at random but the very approximate ratios seem to be

drivers:driver = 1:2
passengers: passenger = 1:18

It certainly doesn't appear to be JUST my own personal idiolect. There does seem to be a pattern that passenger (no s) is used far more frequently by comparison to driver (no s).

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there, I wonder, any explanation.

Any comments?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a newspaper editor, and I had actually noticed this before, especially in police press releases about accidents.
What I generally do when typesetting the story is call it the "driver side door" and "passenger side door".
This is, however, a conscious move on my part to be consistent, and not an attempt to correct the copy. I do know that I usually say "driver's side door".

Posts: 29 | Location: Vanderhoof, B.C.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
The word "accident" is universally used in this context when "collision" would seem to be more accurate.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Especially if Freud is driving! Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any comments?

Interesting point, Bob. I haven't noticed, but when I first read your post, I thought I'd write "driver's door" and "passenger's door." Maybe not though. I will make it a point to notice.

Would part of the conundrum be that you can have multiple passengers, but only one driver?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

Would part of the conundrum be that you can have multiple passengers, but only one driver?

That was one theory suggested but it's exactly the wrong way round for that.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerry thomas:
The word "accident" is universally used in this context when "collision" would seem to be more accurate.

You're right there, Jerry. I should have noted that I generally make it "collision" or "incident".
We had an insurance person at one of our editorial seminars who mentioned (if memory serves me correctly) that only about 5 per cent of these incidents are "accidents", which they basically define as a case where none of the drivers involved did anything wrong.

Posts: 29 | Location: Vanderhoof, B.C.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
accidents

I always mishear the word as accidence, and, therefore, a grammatical term dealing with inflectional morphology. Likewise, case, for me, is always about a falling away from.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And I always misread "mishear," what with the "sh" and all.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post