Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    What's urinalysis of this sentence?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's urinalysis of this sentence? Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Lonnie Burr, one of the original Mousekateers on the old Disney Mickey Mouse Club, wrote the following: "The series was innocuous but it was not merely entertainment. It foreshadowed the didacticism of "Sesame Street" and shows of that kidney.

I've never seen "kidney" used in this way. What's he mean?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
My first guess is that he meant to write: "kind," and spellcheck recognized a legitimate word when it saw "kidney."

Deeper analysis might be found in the appendix.

[This message was edited by jerry thomas on Sun Dec 7th, 2003 at 11:49.]

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
Lonnie Burr, one of the original Mousekateers on the old Disney _Mickey Mouse Club_, wrote the following: "The series was innocuous but it was not merely entertainment. It foreshadowed the didacticism of "Sesame Street" and shows of that kidney.

I've never seen "kidney" used in this way. What's he mean?

I've seen this although it might be a British usage. I had assumed it to be a slang jocular usage formed from "kind" though it is relatively common to hear "of that kidney" or "of another kidney".
However checking my dictionary (Collins 2nd Edition) I find no notation that it is anything other than a legitimate word.

quote:

kidney...

4. class, type or disposition (esp. in phrases of the same or a different kidney). {of uncertain origin}

Why should I let the toad work
Squat on my life ?
Can't I use my wit as a pitchfork
And drive the brute off ?
Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Completely unfamiliar to me. You Brits do have an odd way of speaking. Wink

Is the actress British?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Is the actress British?

Probably Italian or Bulgarian, as "she" has a beard! Wink Lonnie was a male Mousekateer. Poor Shufitz, never got to watch the Mickey Mouse Club as a child! I'm sure your shrink will make a lot of that severe deprivation!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That use of kidney is strange to me too. I thought maybe Jerry was right.

I loved Annette Funicello! I used to think I looked just like her; now I wonder what I was thinking! Roll Eyes

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of it before.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
If you type "kidn" the spellcheck offers "kind" as an alternative; if you type "kidne" it offers "kidney". I suspect that it was a miss-typing and maybe the autocorrect was set to substitute "kidney".

Sadly people now rarely bother to get their work proofed (see my posting elsewhere)

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Suspecting an error in transliteration I googlized "lonnie burr" and found this LINK

Maybe someone can get in touch with Mr. Burr and ask about his adrenal drift.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes... Annette Funicello. My first hotie and star of countless pre-pubescent fantasies I wouldn't even understand till much later.

Along those lines, no discussion involving the word "kidney" is complete without the following cross-threaded input though (fair warning!) those of you with extremely delicate sensibilities may be wise to opt out of this post at this point.

(The title is mine. The limerick, alas, is not.)

Hail to Thee, Annette Funicello, Australian Thou Never Wert.

There once was a woman from Sydney
Who liked it clear up to her kidney.
A man from Quebec
Shoved it up to her neck.
Well, he had a big one, now, didney!

(You were warned...)

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
If you type "kidn" the spellcheck offers "kind" as an alternative; if you type "kidne" it offers "kidney". I suspect that it was a miss-typing and maybe the autocorrect was set to substitute "kidney".

Sadly people now rarely bother to get their work proofed (see my posting elsewhere)

Richard English

The dictionary quote in my post above while not from the OED is a genuine definition of the word "kidney" from Collins Dictionary. Without an OED to hand I can't say for sure but I'll bet you a pint it's in there too.

It seems to be a legitimate if obscure use of the word and all the suggestions that it is a proof reading error are unnecessary.

Why should I let the toad work
Squat on my life ?
Can't I use my wit as a pitchfork
And drive the brute off ?
Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Ah, yes... Annette Funicello. My first hotie and star of countless pre-pubescent
fantasies I wouldn't even understand till much late
--------------------------------------------
CJ, I dare say that Annette did more for the sale of Kleenex among those of us who were pubescent males back then than all the head colds in the world!

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
If you tell Britney that she has an attractive body she probably won't hold it against you.

Always helpful.

~~~ jerry

[This message was edited by jerry thomas on Mon Dec 8th, 2003 at 18:54.]

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
(You were warned...)
Hmmmm, it reminds me of an X-rated Wordcraft chat we had on a Saturday recently. It was purely my fault; Shufitz didn't want to post the limericks, but I said they'd be fine. If I recall, we had a dead silence for about 10 minutes! Red FaceBig Grin Wink

posted Hide Post
I confess I was following up on the typo suggestion and hadn't checked the dictionary.

The OED says, "temperament, nature, kind" and suggests it's from Middle English.

Having said which, I have never used or heard of it.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
The OED says, "temperament, nature, kind" and suggests it's from Middle English.

Using these three definitions then, the OED would approve of the sentence: "He was high-strung with a nervous kidney (it was just his kidney) although he was always kidney to animals."

I keep telling you the ol' book needs a rewrite! I'm workin' on it as fast as I can.

True confession time: All my life I have used the word "temperment" (without the "A") and now discover that it's not even a word. Once again thanks to this board for improving my grasp of our own beloved Mother Tongue.

posted Hide Post
Actually no. "Kind" is used in this definition in the sense of "type" as in "...Budweiser is believed by some to be a kind of beer..."

Richard English

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Budweiser is
believed by some to be a kind of beer..."
---------------------------------
No, you're kiddnny!

Isn't it time we talked about bladders? I mean, eurethra for them or against them.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
Actually no. "Kind" is used in this definition in the sense of "type" as in "...Budweiser is believed by some to be a kind of beer..."

Actually yes. "Kidney" is used in that post in the sense of "a joke" as in "This is the kidney of humor that occasionally eludes R.E."

(Excellent pun, by the way, A.L.!)

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Three days ago I suggested someone should get in touch with Lonnie and ask if he meant "kind" or "kidney."

Then I asked him myself.

Today I received his reply, as follows"

quote:
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 06:34:22 EST
Subject: kidney, ilk
To: jerryt@interpac.net

Jerry:

Although written in 1980, yes, I meant kidney re Webster's III: kidney - 2) sort or kind esp. persuasion, disposition, or temperament. I assume I was merely using stylistic flair to maintain reader interest.

Lonnie

So that settles that.

~~~ jerry

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
I assume I was merely using stylistic flair to maintain reader interest...

...having no nude photographs of Annette Funicello handy which, frankly, do a much better job.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
...having no nude photographs of Annette Funicello handy which, frankly, do a much
better job.

Alas, the lass is an MS victim, and is not likely the lithe little libido lighter-upper that we remember.

Hey, why don't you invite Lonnie to this board? He's surely got the smarts!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa, the nurse in me has to say that people with MS can be managed quite successfully. (There my professional duty is done! Wink)

Jerry, great job writing Lonnie! Yes, do invite him!