New
Find
Notify
Tools

"canard" Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
In French, a canard is a duck.
In English, a canard is "an unfounded rumour or story".

What's the connection, and how did the word come into English?

On a quick check I saw that Compact OED explains, "French, ‘duck’, also ‘hoax’, from Old French caner ‘to quack’." Why would a hoax be equated with the quack noise?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps for the same reason that an incompetent or shyster is referred to as a "quack"?

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps for the same reason that an incompetent or shyster is referred to as a "quack"?

In the UK that expression is generally reserved for those in the medical profession - usually doctors.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
I'd say that we use quack solely doctors. For example, you wouldn't refer to a quack nurse.

I'd think shyster is only for a lawyer.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, in the medical field, from my experience, it is only the physicians who are called "quacks." I often wondered where that word came from.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I figured any snake oil salesman equivalent could be a quack, but the dictionary agrees that it should be a medical charlatan

From the online etymology dictionary...

quack (v.)
"to make a duck sound," 1617, quelke, of echoic origin (cf. M.Du. quacken, O.C.S. kvakati, L. coaxare "to croak," Gk. koax "the croaking of frogs," Hitt. akuwakuwash "frog"). M.E. on the quakke (14c.) meant "hoarse, croaking."
quack (n.)
"medical charlatan," 1638, short for quacksalver (1579), from Du. kwaksalver, lit. "hawker of salve," from M.Du. quacken "to brag, boast," lit. "to croak" (see quack (v.)) + zalf "salve." Cf. Ger. Quacksalber, Dan. kvaksalver, Swed. kvacksalvare.

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp