Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    I don't mean to pry, but ...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I don't mean to pry, but ... Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Do Brits still use 'to prize' to mean 'to pry,' as in "He prized it from the man's grip."?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do Brits still use 'to prize' to mean 'to pry,' as in "He prized it from the man's grip."?

Yes. But I would spell it "prise".

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I agree with Richard

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
And what about "purchase" meaning "grip?" I used to hear this colloquially in South Carolina as a child.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
A perfectly good word to my mind.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Purchase is a perfectly good use to mean 'grip' in my opinion. OneLook defines it (inter alia) as "the mechanical advantage gained by being in a position to use a lever". I wouldn't say it's especially colloquial.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that this thread has quickly come full circle:
SHU: prize/pry/grip
R.E.: prise
Asa: purchase/grip
Arnie: purchase/grip/lever
D.H. (me): lever = pry as in "pry bar" or even as in the local colloquial "bait and pry" meaning "Fulcrum and lever".

Posts: 249 | Location: CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
A goodly set of words:

• price < ME pris 'value, price, reward' < OF < L pretium
  • prize 'something offered or won' < ME pris
  • prize 'something seized by force as booty' < ME prise 'taking of something' < OF prendre < L prehendo 'to seize'
  • prize 'to move by force; leverage' < ME prise 'instrument for prying' ? < ME prise 'taking of something'
  • pry 'to look closely' < ME prien 'to peer in' < ?
  • pry 'to raise or move with a lever', variant of prize 'to move by force'
  • purchase 'to buy' (also the grip to prevent slippage sense or a tackle or lever; < ME purchasen 'to pursue, purchase' < OF purchaser (< pur- 'forth' + chacier 'to chase' < VL *captio 'to catch').

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post