Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Would you use a sic here?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you use a sic here? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In today's Tribune there was a sic in this sentence:

"Dr. Oz has something like 4 million viewers a day. The average physician doesn't see a million patients in their (sic) lifetime."

Now, I see their point, but I don't think it's enough for a sic, do you? Maybe it's because you could possibly confuse the "their" with the million patients, rather then the average physician? On the other hand, I think it's pretty clear what the "their" refers to.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Are those sentences direct quotes from someone else, or the Tribune reporter's? If it's against the paper's style guide to use a singular they it may have been inserted to prevent an over-zealous copy editor changing it.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stanley
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's a joke - "The average physician doesn't see a million patients in their sick lifetime"?

OK, probably not... Big Grin

------------------------
If your rhubarb is forwards, bend it backwards.

Posts: 98 | Location: Reading, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You are right, arnie, the physician (author) is quoting someone else so you are probably right.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post