Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Germanic languages (Deutscher)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Germanic languages (Deutscher) Login/Join

posted
I'm reading The Unfolding of Language: an evolutionary tour of mankind's greatest invention, by Guy Deutscher, and will be pulling gems from it to bore you with.

Here's one. If you ever doubted that English a "Germanic" language, note this:
    English:. . Give. us . this day. . our . . daily . .. bread.
    Swedish:. Giv. . oss . i. dag. .. vårt . dagliga. . bröd.
    Icelandic: Gef... oss . ì. dag. . vort. . daglegt .. brauð.
    Dutch: . . Geef. ons.. hedn. . . ons. . deglijk. .. brood.
    German:. Gib... uns.. heute . unser . tägliches. Brot.
The original language began to split up around the time of Christ, says Deutscher. "They all stem from one prehistoric ancestor, which linguists today call Proto-Germanic, so in fact they were all one and the same language until the beginning of the first millenium AD."

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
so in fact they were all one and the same language until the beginning of the first millenium AD."

Unless, of course, you're not a christian, in which it's the first millenium CE. Big Grin

Reading such ancient English texts as "Beowulf" leaves one feeling that one is really reading a Germanic dialect. Even Chaucer's English seems to be an amalgam of German and French, which stnds to reason, since the Normans had strongly influenced the language by then.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I worked for a Volvo dealership many years ago, when the spare parts packages were still written only in Swedish. I was surprised to see "Volvo service is god service" on the packages. Initially I thought it was in English, but a Swede assured that it was not. Except for just one "o" in "good," it's the same!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post