Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Question re "speaking ability"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question re "speaking ability" Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
In a book I was thumbing through, a character was topd by his friend something to the effect of, "The women you date are all dumb blondes who put a 'like' or an 'um' or an 'er' in every single sentence that comes out of their mouths. Are you afraid of a woman with better lingual skills."

I found myself wondering if lingual is the prorer wod here. Should it be linguisic? What's the distinction?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the OED:
4. a. Pertaining to the tongue as the organ of speech.
b. Pertaining to language or languages.
1871 BLACKIE Four Phases i. 79 Your talk is not a mere exhibition of lingual dexterity; it means something.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Lingual can be a synonym for liguistic and it can also mean "relating to the tongue". Liguistic can mean "relating to language" (the same as lingual) but it can also mean "Of or relating to the scientific study of language".

It seems to me that there is sufficient difference between the two words to prefer linguistic for the language references and lingual for organic references.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Remind me not to read that book.

I'd have thought the word should be "linguistic," but it does seem that they can be synonyms. I think lingual means "tongue" much more frequently than it means "pertaining to languages."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post