Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't look it up Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Kalleh may have a lead on this one. What does the word Kaskaskia have to do with geography?

Don't look it up if you don't know.

Answer to follow.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, unfortunately, has no lead.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some lead. I use it as a doorstop.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I have a book in my library, Kaskaskia Illinois-to-French Dictionary, edited by Carl Masthay. Any guess how to parse the title?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have some lead. I use it as a doorstop.

I use it in my pencil.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I'm surprised Kalleh didn't know Kaskaskia was the first state capital of Illinois.

From Wikipeia: "Kaskaskia is a village in Randolph County, Illinois, United States. In the 2000 census the population was 9, making it the smallest incorporated community in the State of Illinois in terms of population. A major French colonial town of the Illinois Country, its peak population was about 7,000, when it was a regional center and Illinois' first state capital, before the capital was moved to Vandalia in 1818."

the Mississippi flooded early in the 1800s, changing its channel and isolating Kaskaskia from Illinois. The only access to the island is from Missouri. Islanders get Illinois driver's licenses but mail is delivered via a Missouri zip code.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, in all fairness, I was raised in Wisconsin. Still, I should have known. Shu was raised in Illinois, and he is a Chicago history buff. He knew.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post