Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

meritocracy Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
What are your thoughts on the meaning of meritocracy? Does it mean the power goes to those with superior intellects? Or...does it mean the belief that rulers should be chosen for their superior abilities and not because of their wealth or birth?

I saw it used recently, and when I looked it up, I saw those 2 meanings by WordNet. They seem very different to me. I guess I favor the former meaning, and yet I have known so many brilliant people with absolutely no people smarts.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
To my mind the word "meritocracy" means people who have achieved their positions of eminence through ability in their fields of endevour.

Sadly I have discovered over many years of watching, that the ability is all too often that of self-promotion, not that of the field of endevour.

Politicians are the supreme example of this. Few of them have any ability other than that of getting themselves into positions of power and influence. Fortunately most of then are kept under some measure of control by the permanent civil service (or its equivalent) and don't usually manage to do too much damage (although sadly there are exceptions!)

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
I've seen the term used often in two areas:

1. - As an antonym for "aristocracy," meaning a system where the best of life doesn't necessarily go to those coming from the "best" families, and

2.- The U. S. Air Force where I was specifically told it doesn't exist. I had tried to give the most qualified person on my crew the job of trainer but was ordered instead to give it to my most-ranking underling, a person with just barely enough smarts to tear tickets at a local Tilt-a-Whirl. I was informed, "The Air Force is not a meritocracy!"

posted Hide Post
It means there are no political appointees. In a pure meritocracy, it probably also means there are no elections. The person who is best for the job gets the job. There is no affirmative action, no nespotism, etc.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seanahan:
It means there are no political appointees. In a pure meritocracy, it probably also means there are no elections. The person who is best for the job gets the job. There is no affirmative action, no nespotism, etc.

If nespotism isn't a word, it certainly deserves to be.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
If nespotism isn't a word, it certainly deserves to be.
Government by a despot's nephew, perhaps?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I am the proud creator of a brand new word. When a despot puts his family in positions of authority, it is nespotism.

Best typo ever.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
just barely enough smarts to tear tickets at a local Tilt-a-Whirl.

Now, that's good! It reminds me of someone's description once of a kid, "He'll be able to sell newspapers on the corner, but he'll never be able to make change!" Wink

BTW, remember our discussion here about "egg corns?" Well, "nespotism" has 39 sites!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post