Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Identityy Crisis Login/Join

posted
Sometimes it is difficult for a woman to fill out that little line on a form that says "occupation." Do we have a word in English for a woman who does not work, a word that does not describe her in terms of the source of her income, a husband or profession? We must assume she has an independent income but that source is nobody's business. Let us suppose she won the lottery. She is neither an heiress nor a wealthy widow. If she is married but does no housework, she is not a "housewife." In this day and age, it is inappropriate to identify her in terms of her husband, unless she is a public figure, like Laura Bush. What if she is single? She may do things, golf, paint, etc., but those are not the things that you put in that little box labeled "occupation." When she is old, she cannot write "retired" because she has not had a job from which to retire. She doesn't work but she is not "unemployed." She lives and enjoys life. She might be quite serious about the things she does do, so that "diletant" is offensive. What is the word for a man is similar circumstances?

posted Hide Post
Diletante has an e. Typo.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
In years gone by, a man in similar circumstances would put "gentleman". A woman could put "lady" or perhaps "gentlelady" or "gentlewoman".

Another answer might be to put "independent income" in the box.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Self-employed?

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Independent means? Or just leave the box blank.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If she is married but does no housework, she is not a "housewife"

To the contrary, Gabrielle Solis is so classified by all

Furthermore, Laverne asserts that to provide sex, to act as hostess, or just to display oneself in the domestic environment qualifies one

Thus you--all of you--are Desperate Housewives

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
If she is married but does no housework, she is not a "housewife."

If a woman is married and is at home, I think it is fine to say "housewife," even if there are no children and they have cooks, cleaning ladies, drivers, etc. We have a lot of ladies like this in our area, though generally they have children. Even if you have a nanny and cleaning ladies and drivers and cooks, if you have children, there is some work involved.

Perhaps you are being too literal, missann (a problem often attributed to me!). A woman who is old enough to get social security (is that 62?) could be considered to be retired, past job or not.

"Philanthropist" would be a good term if she has planned benefits or given money to good causes.

A "volunteer" would be a good word for those ladies who give of their time during the day, working at hospitals or schools or whatever.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
In fact, I have seen "volunteer" and "community activist" used as occupational descriptors on the list of trustees at the college where I work.

You could write "Renaissance Woman." That would make people sit up and notice! "Homemaker" also suits one who stays home and makes the place feel welcoming, even if others do the housework.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
If you don't mind a French borrowing, why not bon vivant? Or is that bonne vivante? As for identifying Laura Bush, I think of her as a librarian, and as the brains of the family. Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, yes, wordmatic, I like "homemaker" better than "housewife" anyway.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post