Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Longhouses Login/Join

posted
When Shufitz, Kalleh, my wife, Sue and I visited the Tippacanoe Battlefield museum, they had some depictions of indigenous tribes' dwellings. That got me to wondering why we use "teepee" and "wigwam," words taken from original languages, but have no words that I know of for the other typical dwelling, the longhouse. More cultures used them than used teepees, yet I know of no indigenous peoples' names for them. Why?

BTW, they seem to bear considerable resemblance to Norse and early Nordic English halls. Might there be a connection? Was Beowulf really an Iroquois?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Geoff, I wonder if it's because teepees and wigwams were more specific to the to native Americans, while the longhouse seems more general (built by people in Asia, Europe and North America).

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Longhouses were the native homes I learned about as a kid from an Iroquois area. It might be that the native name for them did not get borrowed into English because pioneers would only see them if they went into a long-established native vlllage. Pioneers on the wagon trail must have run into the homes used by nomadic tribes more often, and words used on the wagon trail might have been likely to spread rapidly.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
At a guess, teepees and wigwams were new to the European settlers, whereas longhouses resembled (even if superficially) buildings they were already familiar with.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That was my point, as well, arnie.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Found this interesting bit on what the Iroquois actually called themselves. Some part of the name means 'longhouse':
quote:
Iroquois is an easily recognized name, but like the names of many tribes, it was given them by their enemies. The Algonquin called them the Iroqu (Irinakhoiw) "rattlesnakes." After the French added the Gallic suffix "-ois" to this insult, the name became Iroquois. The Iroquois call themselves Haudenosaunee meaning "people of the long house."

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post