Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fad Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
This question is hardly linguistically earthshaking, but I read something this morning where the writer disagreed that the Atkin's Diet was a fad. She said that it had been around for 30 years, and a fad is shortlived. Indeed, AHD says that a fad is "great enthusiasm for a brief period of time." While 30 years is a long time period, in the scheme of things it's not. Yet, if everything were measured in the scheme of things, then everything would be a fad! How long does a fad have to be around before it's no longer a fad?

As long as we're talking about fad, AHD says that it is "possibly from fidfad, fussy person, fussy, from fiddle-faddle" Fidfad? I couldn't find that anywhere.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
While it may have been around for thirty years, the sudden rise in popularity, then a sudden collapse (Adkins is now bankrupt, I heard) smacks of faddishness to me.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
It's all relative. Given the age of the earth (outside of Kansas, anyway) and the percentage of time mankind has walked upon it, one might say that the human race is little more than a fad.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I still think 30 years could constitute a fad. This makes me think of those movie commercials that say "the funniest movie since last month" or some such nonsense.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post