Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steamed about Steampunk Login/Join

posted
Where did this term come from? I looked it up, and it seems to derive from a Sci-Fi writer's anachronistic writing, so I understand the "steam (engine)" part, but whence "punk?" I thought possibly from the tender used to light fires to operate the boilers for steam engines, but find no proof.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Steampunk is a derivative of cyberpunk. This was a science fiction sub-genre that generally focussed on high tech worlds with social decay. It was a combination of cybernetics and punk - punk as in punk rock.

Steampunk did the same kind of thing but set in historical (historically implausible in fact) settings using old types of technology - steam or clockwork for example - to mimic high tech situations.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sci-fi? Well, you're on here now, and it's tomorrow there. Or is it yesterday here? Confused Still puzzled as to the meaning of "punk."

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punk_rock#Etymology

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post