Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contretemps Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Usually the language in the sports pages is somewhat mundane. However, today one of the columnists used the word contretemps, an interesting word. However, I wonder if it was used correctly. Here was the sentence:

"Among players, Anthony's suspension was the harshest for his sucker punch of Knicks rookie Mardy Collins, who set off the contretemps with a hard foul on Smith." The dictionary defines contretemps as: "an inopportune occurrence" or "an unforeseen event that disrupts the normal course of things." That's an understatement! This rowdy affair was a huge fight with several players being suspended for lots of games. I think the word "fight," or something similar, would have been more appropriate.

Am I wrong about the word contretemps?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I wrong about the word contretemps?

I suspect that the word was used deliberately to be vague. A contretemps could be a fight - it could also be an argument or other disagreement.

By using this word, the whole gamut of emotions and activities that occurred during the event under discussion is covered, nit just the fight which must have been but part of it.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Sports writers here sometimes use the phrase "handbags at ten paces" to indicate a contretemps between footballers who often square up to each other and indulge in a little pushing and shoving, but no actual blows are struck.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
NBA: National Brawling Association

Reply With QuoteReport This Post